Baby massage reinforces the natural power of touch to relax the baby and enhance bonding between parent and child.
What is Baby Massage?
Baby massage is simply a method that helps to reinforce the natural power of touch. It is an ancient art that has been used in many diverse cultures to help with a variety of physical and emotional needs and to promote relaxation.
When you massage your baby, it helps you to understand his subtle non-verbal language and develop your ability to listen to him, laying down the foundations of trust and security which will help you to build a happy and confident relationship with your baby for the future.
How Can it Help?
Baby massage can help in a variety of ways:
- Relaxes infant: Loving touch lessens tension, fussiness and irritability. Digestion is aided and this can provide relief of gas and colic. Massage is also a wonderful way to lessen stress parent and baby.
- Enhances bonding: Touch conveys nurturing and love, the essential ingredients for emotional and physical growth and well being.
- Aids growth and development: Studies have shown increased weight gain, and immune function. Myelination of nerves is also increased. These things in turn are needed for brain and muscle development.
- Promotes communication: Parents become more aware of baby's nonverbal cues. One-on-one communication instills a massage of love and security.
- Improves baby's sleep: As your infant learns to relax and release stress, sounder and longer sleep is often the end result.